Fun things to do with the family in Cape Town
CapeTown family-friendly activities
If you're on the lookout for outstanding things to do with the family in Cape Town (or a little further afield) this is YOUR spot!
I've pulled together everything I know about for Cape Town kids here for you.
Adventure and Extreme Things to Do
Educational Things to Do
Free Things to Do
Indoor Things to Do
Outdoor Things to Do
Some activities may require a little effort and advance planning to arrange, others are completely flexible so you can just pitch up whenever your schedule allows.
I hope you find something that grabs your fancy! If not
please let me know
so that I can make sure your next visit here is a more fruitful one.
And while you're about it,
sign up for my free Cape Town life newsletter
and keep in touch.
Adventure and Extreme Things to Do with the family in Cape Town
Teenagers will love the thrill of these outings and the best thing of all is that you can enjoy them together!
Educational Things to Do with the family in Cape Town
- Abseiling - downhilladventures.com can organise the experience of a lifetime!
- Bungee jumping - Alas! The closest bungy jump you'll find to Cape Town is at Gouritz River Mouth, some 3 + hours drive up the Garden Route. So if you're looking to bungy, plan ahead and contact Face Adrenalin - faceadrenalin.com - and go for it. It's a scenic drive, and if you're planning to visit the Garden Route, so much the better!
- Climb the walls! - contact City Rock, Observatory Tel: +27 21 447 1326 or the Extreme Hotel in Cape Town (a 5 storey climbing wall on the outside of the building!)
- Diving - contact Pisces Divers near Simonstown, Tel +27 21 782 7205. They know what they're doing!
- Dive with the sharks at the Two Oceans Aquarium -- e-mail email@example.com for details.
- Learn to surf -- Gary's Surf School at Muizenberg has been giving surfing lessons seemingly forever! Bookings and Info at 27 21 783 2915 and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paragliding -- downhilladventures.com can organise the experience of a lifetime!
- Shark cage diving -- the experience of a lifetime!
- Skydiving -- downhilladventures.com can organise the experience of a lifetime!
- Quad biking
-- we've biked twice with Ecoquad - they're great! If that doesn't sound like what you're looking for, downhilladventures.com also has this activity sorted...
We wouldn't be real parents if we weren't looking for some extra ways of educating the kids, would we?!
Go for the double whammy - fun and learning...
Free Things to Do with the family in Cape Town
- Iziko Museum, City Bowl -- 25 Queen Victoria Street, Gardens, Cape Town
- Planetarium, City Bowl-- 25 Queen Victoria Street, Gardens, Cape Town
- MTN Sciencentre, Canal Walk at Century City
A tight budget needn't mean zero enjoyment. Cape Town is an incredibly laid-back place with wonderful access to the outdoors, so there's still loads to choose from.
Indoor Things to Do with the family in Cape Town
- Company Gardens, Cape Town - picnic and watch for squirrel raiding parties!
- Lions Head, City Bowl - climb it! It's a steep walk but the sunsets are worth it.
- Picnics, Groot Constantia - do-it-yourself or arrange a picnic basket.
- Rhodes Memorial, Rondebosch - ride the lions, enjoy the view, or (you'll have to pay for this...) have a great tea at the Tea Garden.
- Seal watching in the harbour, V & A Waterfront -- start outside the Aquarium.
- Signal Hill - home of the Noon Gun and great for sundowner picnics, too
July and August are our wettest months... and high rainfall can lead to cabin fever!
Get out of your space and into someone else's...
Outdoor Things to Do with the family in Cape Town
- Bizzy Bodies - indoor play gym, Westlake Business Park, Westlake, Tel 27 21 702 0505
- Clay Café - paint your own pottery in Hout Bay, Tel. +27 21 790 3318
- Climb the walls! - City Rock Indoor Climbing, Observatory Tel: +27 21 447 1326
- Ice skating
at Grand West, Vanguard Drive, Goodwood, Tel: 27 21 535 2260
- Iziko Museum, City Bowl -- 25 Queen Victoria Street, Gardens, Cape Town Tel: 27 21 481 3800
- Planetarium, City Bowl -- 25 Queen Victoria Street, Gardens, Cape Town Tel 27 21 481 3900
- MTN Sciencentre, Canal Walk at Century City Tel: 27 21 529 8100
- Scallywags indoor play area, Palmyra Road, Claremont Tel 27 21 671 5988
- Scratch Patch
- at the Waterfront Tel: 27 21 419 9429 or Dido Valley Road, Simonstown, Tel: 27 21 786 2020
- Ten Pin Bowling - Stadium on Main, Main Road, Claremont Tel: 27 21 671 1893 or Canal Walk at Century City Tel: Tel 27 21 551 4929
Of course all the extreme sports mentioned on this page are also part of this list of outdoor activities!
- Baboon walks near Simonstown
- Boat cruises at the Waterfront
- Boulders Beach, Simonstown
- penguins to watch and a small jewel of a sheltered beach
- Butterfly World, R44 turnoff on the N1, near Paarl - walk through clouds of butterflies!
- Cheetah Outreach at Spier, Stellenbosch - touch a cheetah
- Eagle Encounters at Spier, Stellenbosch - amazing raptor interactions
- Drakenstein Lion Park, Paarl - rescued lions up close
- Go-karting - Kenilworth Karting, 10 Myhof Rd, Kenilworth Tel: + 27 21 683 2670
- Horse riding on Noordhoek Beach, Cape Town - call Sleepy Hollow, Noordhoek - tel. 27 21 789 2341 or The Dunes, Noordhoek - tel. 27 21 789 1723 or Imhoffs Beach Rides, Kommetjie - tel. 27 21 783 1474
- Imhoff Farm and Snake Park, Kommetjie - camel rides, snakes, teas and restaurants
- Le Bonheur Crocodile Farm, Babilonstoren Road, R45, Paarl
- Muizenberg Waterslide
- Tel 27 21 788 4759
- Paintball games - Paintball Africa, off the N7 near Bloubergstrand, tel: +27 21 551 3115
- Ratanga Junction Theme Park, Century City - great rides wet and dry!
- Table Mountain Aerial Cableway
, City Bowl
- Two Oceans Aquarium
, Cape Town Waterfront
- Tygerberg Zoo, Exit 39 off the N1, Klipheuwel (near Stellenbosch) - spider monkeys, Cape lions, tigers and bears to name but a few.
- Whale watching
, Simonstown Boat Company
- World of Birds, Valley Road, Hout Bay
You may find the following related pages helpful:
From Things to do with the family in Cape Town to the Homepage
Could you use more insider tips in YOUR planning?
(that's a hint!)
"I [was] visiting South Africa with my family for the 1st time and wanted some advice from a local.
John Holmes - New York
The information you provided became invaluable in putting our trip together for Capetown.
I wanted to thank you and your website for making our stay in South Africa a dream come true."
"Thanks for the advice! Can't wait to get there now!"
Nick C - Devon
"THANK YOU for taking the time and trouble to create this website - it is a Godsend."
Sue Clarendon - US